“classrooms are a relatively recent innovation, we learn much more and always have done from the world around us and from each other than we necessarily do sitting indoors at desks”.
The natural world provides us with an abundance of resources and opportunities to learn through doing and enhancing and enriching the quality of the national curriculum. Our definition need not expel indoor spaces rather elevate our outdoor ones to their rightfully equal status. Our outdoor spaces be it a patch of unused tarmac within our school grounds or a local park or woodland can be used by a confident and creative teacher as a learning environment.
Natural Connections has published new evidence on the benefits of outdoor learning for pupils, teachers and schools. Working with 125 primary and secondary schools across the South West of England, Plymouth University along with Natural England have shown children are happier, healthier and more motivated to learn.
Benefits for pupils:
- 92% of schools said it improves pupils’ health and wellbeing and engages them with learning
- 85% saw a positive impact on their behaviour
- 92% of pupils involved in the project said they enjoyed their lessons more when outdoors
- 90% feeling happier and healthier as a result72 per cent of children said they got on better with others
Benefits for teachers:
- 90% of staff surveyed found outdoor learning to be useful for curriculum delivery
- 72% of schools reported it had a positive impact on teachers’ health and wellbeing
- 79% of teachers surveyed said it had a positive impact on their teaching practice
- 69% said it had a positive impact on their professional development
Off the back of these staggering findings it's now more important than ever as educationalists to "step outside" and discover how we can all benefit from teaching and learning outside. Starting this Autumn term SOuL will be running a series of regional open workshops for teachers from different schools to attend with the aim of building TEACHER CONFIDENCE in outdoor learning.
Price £165 + VAT
Our regional open workshops are designed with Heads, Middle Management, HODs, Governors, Teachers, SMT, KS1/2 or 3 in mind.